Larger Font | + Smaller Font
Welcome to ALCOA Manitoba
Who are we?
The Active Living Coalition of Older Manitobans is a partnership of 40 partner organizations and 13 supporting partners that are committed to encouraging and promoting active aging in Manitoba.
Why we are concerned?
- 60% of older adults are inactive.
- Sitting or lying for long periods is a serious health risk. (World Health Organization)
- Inactivity leads to declines in:
- bone strength;
- muscle strength;
- heart and lung fitness; and
- Inactivity is as harmful to your health as smoking.
Our population of older adults is growing and we need to find solutions now to ensure that seniors are healthy, active and able to fully participate and contribute to their communities.
What are we doing about it?
With financial assistance of Seniors and Healthy Aging Secretariat and other funders, we act as a catalyst for change. We do this in different ways:
- Older adults are ambassadors to educate, to encourage and support their peers in becoming more active. These trained, volunteer peer leaders deliver presentations, lead exercise classes, and walking programs.
- Twice a year ALCOA in Manitoba hosts roundtables or think tanks to explore issues and concerns of partner organizations. Each roundtables reviews existing research on the topic, brings partners and older members together to discuss and investigates possible solutions.
- Share information through our website, disseminate research by our national partner and publish a newsletter for older Manitobans
- Loan equipment to encourage participation of all abilities and ages.
- We host a week long awareness campaign to bring information to all Manitobans and to promote the work of all our partners.
You too can participate
Become a member
Become a Peer Leader